We offer opportunities to artists and writers through a variety of programs throughout the year. Current opportunities are listed below.
Artists are invited to submit applications by Friday, May 11, 2018. There is no fee to apply.
Participants will hear lectures from various professionals in the field – printers, fine press publishers, book artists, and dealers, to get a practical overview of letterpress printing and small press publishing. They will learn the basics of letterpress printing, both traditional typesetting and options with new technology, by collaboratively printing a small edition of broadsides. This workshop is most suitable for those with little to no previous letterpress experience. Each seminar will be offered to a maximum of eight students. Writers from culturally diverse backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
Applications will not be accepted from students enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs during the program year (September 2017-May 2018.)
Application Deadline is Friday June 1st, 2018
Center for Book Arts is pleased to invite Artist Members to submit artworks
produced after 2013 to be considered for the 2018 Artist Members Exhibition
tentatively titled: Opulence:
Not Everything that Glitters is Gold. An exhibition of artwork that looks behind the velvet curtain, in particular at our current economic, social,
political, ecological, and cultural issues/concerns and/or playful works that
have multiple layers of meaning and interpretations. The exhibition will be organized by Alexander
Campos, Executive Director & Curator, The Center for Book Arts.
Focusing on artists’ books and works that relate to the concept of book arts, the curator is equally interested in work that uses new media referring to the concept of books. Approximately twenty to thirty works will be chosen for display in the Center for Book Art’s auxiliary gallery space. Artist members of the Center for Book Arts are encouraged to submit works to be selected by the show’s curator, and the selections will be augmented by works by non-member artists to enhance the scope of the exhibition.
We encourage artists to submit more than one work to be reviewed. Artists are invited to submit as many works for review as they wish, up to 6 images in total. All images must be properly labeled and accompanied by an image list with name, title, year created, dimensions, medium/materials, and credited properly (authors, collector, etc.)
Submissions can be made via online submission form (centerforbookarts.submittable.com/submit) or on CDs mailed to the Center. Please DO NOT send original artwork for consideration.
Calendar of Important Dates:
Deadline for receipt of entry forms and images: Monday, May 28, 2018
Notification of accepted entries: Friday, June 8, 2018
Accepted art due at The Center for Book Arts: Monday, June 28, 2018
Exhibition Opening: Wednesday, July 11, 2018
Exhibition closes: Saturday, September 22, 2018
Work returned: Friday September 28, 2018
Checklist for submissions:
- I am a current Artist Member (to renew your membership, please go online, call the Center at (212) 481-0295, or send a check payable to The Center for Books Arts; those applying for Artist Membership with their entry must complete a separate Artist Member application: www.centerforbookarts.org/opportunities/artistmemberapp.pdf).
- Images must be saved as JPEG files. Up to 6 Images and no bigger than 6x8, 300 dpi
- Each Image file name must be saved with a number_ Last Name_Title.jpg
- Image List should include information on each work: titles, dates, medium, dimensions, materials, and description.
- Videos should be an excerpt and only up to 3 minutes maximum via a direct link
- Short Biography of 100 words (Not a CV/Resume)
- Artist’s Statement of 200 words or less related to work submitted
NOTE: Only complete entries will be reviewed. Please double check your submission.
1. The artist is responsible for the cost of shipping works to The Center.
2. No works will be released before the close of the exhibition.
3. The Center for Book Arts receives a commission of 30% of each work sold.
4. We will publish your name as written on your entry
5. If a catalogue is produced, artists are entitled to one free copy or to significantly discounted priced copies