We are inviting curators to submit exhibition proposals for Center for Book Arts' Central Gallery. We are seeking proposals that elaborate, challenge and contribute to the artistic, theoretical, historical, and contemporary aspects of the book arts.
The selected curatorial projects will be given access to CBA's resources such as the archive and collection artworks, as well as administrative support during the curation process. In addition, the curator will be awarded a $3,000 honorarium; an honoraria budget to divide amongst participating artists and program speakers; and a budget for production, including an exhibition catalog. A floor-plan of the space can be seen here.
This exhibition series is intended to provide contemporary interpretations of the book as an art object and/or related media, as well as to challenge traditional notions of the book arts. Exhibitions that feature a broad representation of media, site-specific installations, and performances are encouraged. The Exhibitions Committee is especially interested in proposals for:
- Exhibitions that will further and/or challenge the discourse of book arts within a contemporary artistic criticism, particularly theme based explorations
- Exhibitions that will advance the field of traditional bookmaking practices, particularly by showing a wide range of artists
- Focused exhibitions of multiple artists demonstrating a cohesive artistic trend or subject matter
All submissions must include:
- Curator's contact information
- CV uploaded as a .pdf
- A 1000-word exhibition proposal indicating the visual and conceptual vision of the exhibition
- A description of 1-2 potential public programs that could accompany the exhibition
- 10-20 images of artworks to be featured in the exhibition. Images should be uploaded in jpg format and should be a minimum of 1200px and maximum of 2400px in either direction.
- A list of artworks to be exhibited with the title, artist, year, medium and dimensions.
Round 1 Application Deadline: March 15, 2021
We accept submissions on a rolling basis. The review process will take place each year in March. Applications are not to be edited once submitted.
Application questions should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org